Real Estate Investment Accounting Controller/Manager
|Date Posted||October 03, 2019|
|Employment Type||Direct Hire|
Interested in this opportunity?
We are assisting our Dallas, TX client with a search for a Real Estate Investment Accounting Controller/Manager. This role is responsible for the financial accounting and reporting of the operations of real estate properties acquired and/or developed through the company’s various investment/fund vehicles. These may include office, multi-family, industrial, retail, hotel and mixed-use properties. This position oversees Assistant Controllers and Senior/Staff Accountants in Investment Accounting and works closely with the members of the Fund Accounting team that is responsible for the accounting and reporting of the investment entities and fund vehicles that own interests in the real estate properties on which the Investment Accounting team is reporting.
- Lead the professional development, mentoring, training and coaching of assigned team members.
- Work with the asset management and the fund accounting teams to provide operating cash flow projections to assist in forecasting investment entity/fund capital calls and distributions.
- Assist the tax personnel with preparation of schedules, providing underlying support and/or performing reviews as needed in connection with the timely preparation of federal and state tax returns.
- Assist the fund accounting team with the preparation of quarterly/annual financial statements including providing details of transactions, underlying investment schedules, minimum rent disclosures, and other documentation and calculations needed for disclosures in accordance with GAAP.
- Perform research on accounting treatments for complex accounting transactions. Present potential solutions with adequate support.
- Maintain an understanding and inform others of new technical accounting developments, regulatory changes, management requirements, accounting system updates, procedures, etc.
- Ensure the property level activity is recorded, reviewed and approved in a timely manner to meet monthly and quarterly reporting deadlines.
- Assist the acquisitions and dispositions teams in all property transactions as needed including proration calculations, A/R aging review, and gain/loss projections.
- Review purchase and sale agreements for accounting impact and ensure the proper recording of the acquisition and disposition entries.
- Work with capital markets to provide any necessary financial information for new debt, refinancing’s or payoffs.
- Supervise the timely reconciliation of WIP accounts and ensure that assets are placed in service as appropriate.
- Review and approve the property management and construction fee calculations for compliance with property management agreements.
- “GAAP up” property level cash basis budgets so that fund accounting team can layer in entity level activity.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance.
- CPA Required.
- 5+ years of accounting experience with solid fundamental accounting skills.
- 3+ years of managerial experience.
- Real estate and joint venture/partnership accounting experience required.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience with Yardi Voyager and/or Investment Management software preferred.
© VIP 2019 | An equal opportunity employer